Sunday, February 3, 2008

[chapters 1-4 of Alan Moore's Watchmen]

Has anyone else read
Umbrella Academy? It's a new comic, just started in fall of 07, and it's last issue's supposed to come out this month. Anyway, I'm seeing a lot of similarities between it and Watchmen. It's neat to be able to see how things are inspired by basic thematics. The autobiography pages are replaced by dictionary pages in UA, but authentic memoir pages are used also, to look back from the POV of a used-to-be "superhero." Also, the idea of turning away from that life, becoming an outcast and an antihero, though, yes, widely used, is similar between the two. The funeral of a friend is another strong correlation.

Sorry, I guess I'm not really analyzing
Watchmen, it's just, I take English and Cinema Studies classes all the time, you know, so I'm used to having to see patterns. My favorite thing about the novel thus far are all the political implications. Mentions of the USSR, Cold War, Arms Race, etcetera. It's all chilling, the idea of fall out shelters everywhere.

Speaking of, Altgeld is an official shelter, isn't it? I'd swear I've seen the metal plaque above its north door. It always seemed crazy to me, that constant paranoia everyone lived in during the second phase of the Red Scare. Children cowered under desks in drills, as though that would actually help in the event of nuclear war. We just watched
On the Beach in my film class, which is about the nuclear holocaust. Australia has another six or so months to live, due to currents and air pollution (or something- it's never fully explained), so it's about the citizens coping with the fact that they'll all die soon. It's a great film, and interesting because it doesn't have happy ending at all- everyone still dies!

Even further, I think there's evidence of McCarthyism in
Watchmen, which, in my opinion, is the truly frightening part of all of it. The unmasking of the superheroes is similar to the unmasking of all (personal) identity that went on. Everyone strove to be the same in the period, in order to not be labeled as "Communists."

Here's a clip from
On the Beach at the beginning of the film; notice that it's Anthony Perkins, who goes on to become a Psycho.



McCarthyism at work: a completely useless tactic to avoiding being destroyed by a nuclear weapon.




And then there's this. Some kid's history project, where he based a McCarthy video off the theme song of Pokemon ("Gotta catch 'em all," and all that, I guess). I didn't actually watch all of this, but it's funny for a little while.


2 comments:

Trace! said...

I haven't read umbrella academy but I'd like to. If you have the first few issues can I borrow them?

Pat said...

Recommended film: Atomic Cafe.