Sunday, February 10, 2008

[ch. 5-12 of Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons]

In honor of Rorschach and his experience in chapter 6 with the Rorschach ink tests, I'm posting some blot paintings Andy Warhol did. By the way, seeing Rorschach/Kovac's real face? Yeah, he should wear the mask, no question, and, hi, didn't need to see the dogs bloodied. Very unnecessary.




See, my issue with these is I never really see anything in them.






This one's a little Tim Burton-y. But still, I just think, Oh, hey, symmetry.





Yellow!




Seahorses maybe? Except not really, and I'm struggling to make anything of it.





More colors.


I don't know. I'm apparently not cut out for these. I don't think I lack in creativity, but eh. They're supposed to evaluate personality characteristics. So the fact that I see nothing in them means either, a) I have no personality OR b) I refuse to give anyone anything they can psychoanalyze me with.

Mostly I think the tests are creepy looking because of the crawling black ink overlapping again and again. It's like a flurry of movement trapped in some single moment.

What I really want to know is what YOU see in them? Can anyone out there actually make pictures out of the mess?

On an Ending of Watchmen note, I loved the scenes of utter destruction toward the end, in chapter 12. The apocalyptic nature of it all. Just that hopelessness, it's engaging.

1 comment:

John DeLuca said...

Those ink blots remind me of the Gnarls Barkley music video.