Friday, March 21, 2008

[ch 1-11 & ch 12-end of Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse]

This blog covers two days, because I forgot to update for last Wednesday, and I won't have any time to do it before Monday. I still don't have much to say about Stuck Rubber Baby except that I really can't take the art. If it was just a "normal" novel, I'm betting I could handle it. As is, I'm too distracted by the bad!illustrations. For instance:

Photobucket
pg 149

The men and women look the same! Her hair and dress is the only thing really separating them. All of the characters are the same brand of large and ugly. I like interesting, aesthetically pleasing art, not mediocre pointillism. I'm glad we're moving on to Fun Home soon; I actually like that one. I suppose you could rationalize that Cruse is saying something powerful about gender roles and sexuality by minimizing the difference between genders. I don't think he is, though.

Completely unrelated, The Hush Sound's new album Goodbye Blues came out, and Panic(!) at the Disco's (Pretty. Odd.) got leaked a week early. (I'm sure Trace is going to say something about this, too.) The Panic album isn't really noteworthy. I'm glad I downloaded it before I'll receive the actual CD by mail, so I won't be so disappointed. Goodbye Blues, however, is incredible. It's a stellar follow up to their previous albums, So Sudden and Like Vines. They're a small band from Chicagoland made up of young kids who deserve your support, seriously. I'm embedding their latest music video, for "Honey," below, and if you like the music, you should think about buying (not just downloading!) their albums. They play in the Chambana area fairly frequently, too.

1 comment:

Pat said...

hear hear! or is it here here! on your Stuck Rubber Baby comments. I also thought Cruse might be trying to say something, but gradually realized that no, his women (and people generally) are just really, really ugly.